An innovative process that uses customized shaping lenses to gently correct your vision while you sleep so you can enjoy crisp, clear vision while you're awake. It's a safe, gentle vision correction option. And it produces amazing results: most people see clearly without glasses or contacts, all day long.
Corneal reshaping process is safe, non-invasive and reversible. It's an excellent option for people who aren't ready for or who aren't candidates for LASIK surgery. It is FDA approved since 2002. Currently, there are two options that are available for overnight corneal reshaping: Corneal Refractive Therapy (CRT) from Paragon Vision Sciences, and Bausch & Lomb's Vision Shaping Treatment (VST).
At Sound Eye and Laser, our doctor will prescribe custom-designed shaping lenses that are fitted to the specific contour of your eyes. Every night, these shaping lenses gently reshape your eye to correct your vision while you sleep. In the morning, you take your shaping lenses out and see clearly and crisply all day long -- without glasses, contact lenses, or surgery. Compare to LASIK, this less expensive option can be used in children as well as adult and can offer the flexibility to fit your vision needs as your eyes change and mature.
Are You A Good Candidate For Corneal Reshaping in Seattle, Washington?
Corneal Reshaping is perfect for people who are looking for non-surgical correction of their vision and their lifestyles where glasses and contact lenses can be problematic:
Frequently Asked Questions
- Athletes and adult with active lifestyle: without contacts to fall out or act up at that crucial moment. Whether it’s swimming, skiing or soccer; corneal reshaping helps you play to the fullest.
- People with low to moderate amount of nearsightedness and astigmatism: The ideal candidate should have less than -5D of myopia, and up to -1D of astigmatism.
- School age children who experience large increase in myopia every year: Besides eliminating the need for glasses or contacts during the day, recent research had supported that corneal reshaping may decrease or arrest the rate of myopic progression.
- Young age: FDA approved since 2002. These lenses are safe for kids and adults. Children no longer need to bring cases and solution to school and parents have greater control of contact lens disinfection and safety.
- For computer intensive occupations: Without the discomfort/dryness of contact lenses during the day, corneal reshaping can help enhance comfort and productivity during the work day.
- I’ve always been told not to wear contact lenses while I sleep. Are these shaping lenses safe to wear for sleep?
These shaping lenses are made of a material that allows oxygen to reach the eye, even while you sleep. These shaping lenses are approved by the FDA for overnight wear.
- I used to wear contact lenses but stopped due to discomfort from dry eye. Am I a good candidate still?
Many people with mild grade of dry eye can wear corneal reshaping lenses successfully. You only wear these lenses while you sleep, you avoid discomforts sometimes associated with daytime contact lens wear—such as dryness at the end of the day.
- How long does it take to see clearly?
Most patients have rapid improvement in the first few days of treatment and achieve nearly their optimum vision in 10 to 14 days.
- And when I take the shaping lenses off, I’ll be able to see clearly all day? For how long exactly?
The treatment results are different for everyone. If you follow the regimen prescribed by your doctor, most people can enjoy good vision for most of their day.
- Can I see while I’m wearing the shaping lenses? Can I wear them during the day?
Yes. While they’re in, you’ll be able to see well. If you have to get up in the middle of the night, you will be able to see where you are going. But once they’re out, you’ll see even better. Even though you can wear shaping lenses during the day, their performance may differ. They are intended for overnight wear.
- If I discontinue wearing corneal reshaping lenses, how long will it take for my vision to return to condition prior to treatment?
Generally, the more myopia being reduced, the longer it will take for the corneal curvature to return to normal. Most people will lose the reshaping effect from a few days to 2 weeks.
If you are interested in corneal reshaping, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Lau to see if you are a good candidate.
To learn more about corneal reshaping, visit
Paragon Vision Sciences Click here
Bausch & Lomb Vision Reshaping Treatment Click here
Emerald Lens Click here